When searching for your next home, going to showings can be exciting but also overwhelming. Keep in mind there are some things that you should look for and others that don’t matter as much. Consider these five dos and don’ts while house hunting.
- When touring a home, check out the walls and doorways for any significant cracks that could be a sign of structural issues.
- Take note of any water damage that you may see which could be a sign of an underlying and potentially expensive issue.
- Pay attention to the state of the home. If it looks well taken care of, you can usually assume that the homeowner took the time to keep up with routine maintenance.
- Use your nose. If you notice a significant amount of air freshener, that could be an attempt to mask the smell of an underlying problem.
- Did you notice an extra room that wasn’t listed in the property sheet? This could be a sign that it was an unpermitted addition. I can confirm whether or not the space is permitted.
- Don’t let the wall color or décor be a deal breaker. The current homeowner probably has a different style than you – that’s OK. Remember, paint and décor can be easily changed.
- If you notice stains in the carpet, don’t let that prevent you from considering an otherwise great house. Carpet and other flooring can be replaced.
- Don’t let the outdated faucets and fixtures keep you from loving a home. A simple trip to a home improvement store can help you find new fixtures that better match your tastes.
- Not a fan of the fence? Don’t let that be the deciding factor. Check out the yard to see if there is potential for a fence that will fulfill all your outdoor dreams.
- Don’t pass on a house just because it has older appliances. If you love a home but it needs some updates, look into what it will take to make improvements. If it’s simple and within your budget, it may be worthwhile to invest in those changes to get the home of your dreams.
These dos and don’ts can help you navigate the homebuying process. And I’m here to help you along the way! Let’s get started!
Pictured above: 8406 Tophill in Northwood offers a 3-bedroom 2-bath, open floor plan, two living areas, spacious bedrooms, original hardwood floors and lots of natural light to welcome you home. Fantastic location, just minutes from parks, schools, shopping, and a short drive to The Pearl & Downtown. Large fenced backyard includes storage shed, huge trees for plenty of shade and a patio just off the kitchen for entertaining. Listed by my Nix Realty Company colleague Amy Brand. Let’s go see it!